Week of 03.09.20
Dear Westlake Parents and Guardians:
Time is just flying by this school year and I can’t believe we are in March already! I love Spring semester for all the exciting events that happen and, most importantly, for getting to see how our students have grown over the course of the year in their learning. From the concerts to the demonstrations of learning through presentations or assessments it just makes me smile to see how far our kids have come from the beginning of the school year.
Please take a moment to read through the information below and please feel free to reach out to me any time with questions.
Congratulations Mr. Hinkle!
Recently, our very own Mr. Hinkle, who teaches Spanish here at Westlake, received recognition from a Westlake alum! This prior student recognized Mr. Hinkle for having significant impact in her life and influencing her future! Congratulations to Mr. Hinkle for making the difference in the lives of Westlake kids. We are so proud of you!
March 19th- Non-Student Contact Day
Adams 12 Five Star Schools will be closed for students on Thursday, March 19, 2020 due to labor shortages.
This change to the district calendar is being made because hundreds of teachers from Adams 12 Five Star Schools have indicated they will take personal leave on Thursday, March 19 to participate in The Colorado Education Association’s (CEA) planned statewide rally of educators at the Capitol during that day.
The lack of sufficient staff would impact the district’s commitment to provide a safe and productive learning environment, and that is why we have decided to not have school for students on Thursday, March 19.
Although students will not be present, this remains a workday for all Five Star District staff and employees not at work that day must use personal time.
Here are some additional details about March 19 that you should know:
- Field trips and activities originally scheduled during the school day will not proceed unless you hear differently from your school.
- After-school athletics and activities will proceed as scheduled, unless you hear differently from your school.
- Childcare will be available for families currently enrolled in BASE only. Families will hear directly from their BASE Director with additional information and locations.
- No make-up day will be necessary unless we have multiple snow days before the end of the school year.
- This closure does not include students attending New America, Prospect Ridge, Stargate and Westgate. If they have a change in their normal day, you will receive separate communication from their building leaders.
We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause families. Our hope is that by making you aware of this situation with advance notice, it will help families make arrangements for Thursday, March 19.
All schools will be open and operating on a normal schedule for Friday, March 20.
According to the Colorado Education Association’s (CEA) website, they are promoting a day of action for educators to rally at the Colorado State Capitol because “Colorado students deserve a fully funded education system and educators who can afford to stay in the profession.” CEA has communicated that they are targeting the following outcomes: (1) secure a living wage for educators, (2) pass an initiative for a statewide ballot issue in 2020 to fix the broken education funding system and (3) eliminate the Budget Stabilization Factor (a measure of how far below pre-recession levels schools are funded) by 2022.
Thank you for your partnership in supporting student success in the Five Star District.
Click on each day to reveal the upcoming events.
- Avenger Core Field Trip
- Coding Club @ 3:45pm
- Girl Power Club @ 3:45pm
- Intramural Flag Football @ 3:45pm
- Newspaper Club @ 3:45pm
- Student Council Meeting @ 3:45pm
- Mandarin Club @ 7:45pm
- Fusion Core Field Trip
- Intramural Flag Football@ 3:45pm
- Math Counts @ 3:45pm
- Drama Club @ 3:45pm
- Early Release Day
- 7th Grade Jazz Band @ 7:30am
- Intramural Flag Football @ 7:45am
- Art Club 7:45am
- Creative Writing Club @ 7:30am
- 8th Grade Band Field Trip
- GSA @ 3:45pm
- NJHS @ 3:45pm
- Disc Golf Club @ 3:45pm
- Love and Logic Class in Spanish @ 6pm
- 8th Grade Jazz Band @ 7:30am
- Galactic Core Field Trip
- Drama Club @ 3:45pm