Dear Westlake Parents and Guardians:
As a parent it can be a real struggle to determine when to allow your child to have a phone, especially a smart phone. We want to be able to communicate with and hear from our kids, which the smart phone allows, and its a battle to know where to draw the line in regard to access our kids have to the internet and social media through the smart phone. Technology has changed so significantly since the time I was a teenager (i.e. cell phones just barely hitting the scene) to where we are now! Our kids are still kids, though, and it’s important for us to help them navigate the tech scene as best we can.
One of the counselors here at Westlake found this website that encourages parents to “wait until 8th grade” to give our kids smart phones. As a parent myself, it makes a lot of sense to me and I know I’ll be considering “wait until 8th” for my own kids.
Click HERE to get to the Wait Until 8th website
This upcoming week is Spirit Week! Let’s show some school spirit and enjoy dressing for the theme each day! Check it out below:
Tipi Event @ Westlake Middle School
Adams 12 Five Star Schools encourages the opportunity for students and families to engage in celebration that is respectful to all cultures, religions, races, and beliefs. In our continued efforts to maintain a respectful, safe and secure learning environment, the following guidelines for Halloween celebrations have been developed. These guidelines apply to students, staff, and participants of all Halloween celebrations both during and after the school day.
- Costumes that would otherwise violate the Student Dress Code (Superintendent Policy 5060) will only be allowed if approved by an administrator prior to wearing to school. For safety reasons, masks or makeup should not cover the student’s face in a manner that makes the student unrecognizable. Masks or makeup that conceal student’s identity may be worn only during designated times such as during a costume contest.
- The following are considered not appropriate for school or school events:
- Costumes that are overly graphic, promote violence or otherwise might logically be assumed to be offensive to others
- Costumes that are sexually suggestive and would otherwise violate the school’s dress code
- Costumes with sound effects, lights or other components which would disrupt the classroom learning environment
- Costumes that could be considered insensitive to various races, genders, cultures and religions
- Toy or facsimile weapons of any kind (guns, knives, swords, bats, etc.) are not allowed
- Costumes or dress of any kind that may be potentially disruptive to the educational or school environment
In alignment with Superintendent Policy 5060, school administrators may ask students or participants to change into school appropriate attire and/or remove masks, makeup, or costumes.
Halloween Guidelines Addendum (RE: Clown Costumes)
As you may recall, in 2016 the Five Star District prohibited students and staff from wearing clown costumes on school grounds due to social media threats nationwide. Although we have not been made aware of any similar threats this year, district leadership made the decision to leave this prohibition in the 2019 Halloween guidelines, acknowledging the release of the movie, IT, and in anticipation of a social media response. As always, the safety and security of students and staff is our first priority, therefore students and staff are prohibited from wearing clown masks or costumes on school grounds. This adjustment was made in the best interest of the school community and creates a safe environment for students and staff at Halloween celebrations this year.
Keep in mind, district and school leadership will reevaluate the guidelines each year and make adjustments as needed to ensure a safe celebration for the entire school community. Students who violate or are suspected to be in violation of this policy will be referred to school administration.
Click on each day to reveal the upcoming events.
- Spirit Week!- Hawaiian Shirt Day
- Newspaper Club @ 3:45pm
- Coding Club @ 3:45pm
- Drama Club @ 3:45pm
- Student Council @ 3:45pm
- Spirit Week!- Twin Day
- Drama Club @ 3:45pm
- Intramural Soccer @ 3:45pm
- WEB Leader Meeting @ 3:45pm
- Early Release Day
- Spirit Week!- Disney Day
- 7th Grade Jazz Band @ 7:30am
- Pokeman Club @ 7:30am
- Art Club 7:45am
- Battle of the Books during lunches
- Tipi event @ 2:30pm
- Halloween! Wear your costumes (see costume guidelines)
- Creative Writing Club @ 7:30am
- Robotics Club @ 7:40am
- GSA Club @ 3:45pm
- Disc Golf Club @ 3:45pm
- Spirit Week!- Era Day (dress in 90's, 80's, etc.)
- 8th Grade Jazz Band @ 7:30am
- Drama Club @ 3:45pm