Week of 09.30.19
Westlake Parents and Guardians:
- % of participating students: 17%
- % of registered students: 37%
- Number of States: 31
- Current School Profit: $7,275
Any student that earns $30 in donations or sends 10 easy emails, will earn a bungee rocket! They will get to take it home this week to practice and bring it back for a game at the Booster Bash. The winner of the game will win a grand prize! As a bonus, students that earn the Bungee Rocket will also be entered into a raffle for a personal COTTON CANDY MACHINE!
Parent Teacher Conferences
Parent Teacher Conferences are just around the corner. We will have conferences on Tuesday, October 8th from 4:30 -7:30 pm and Wednesday, October 9th from 4:00-7: 00 pm. Conferences will be arena style in our gyms. This means that you will have an opportunity to talk with each of your child’s teachers for about 3-4 minutes. In order to make conferences as efficient as possible for families, we will be having families sign up for half-hour time slots. We will soon be sending out a sign-up for time slots. Please lookout for this email. If you need to contact teachers prior to conferences, you are always welcome to email or call teachers with questions or concerns.
Want to volunteer at the book fair?
Every year we hold a book fair in the library during the week of Parent Teacher Conferences. If you would be interested in volunteering for this fun event please click on the link below to sign up. Thank for your partnership and support of our school!
Adams 12 Five Star Schools encourages the opportunity for students and families to engage in celebration that is respectful to all cultures, religions, races, and beliefs. In our continued efforts to maintain a respectful, safe and secure learning environment, the following guidelines for Halloween celebrations have been developed. These guidelines apply to students, staff, and participants of all Halloween celebrations both during and after the school day.
- Costumes that would otherwise violate the Student Dress Code (Superintendent Policy 5060) will only be allowed if approved by an administrator prior to wearing to school. For safety reasons, masks or makeup should not cover the student’s face in a manner that makes the student unrecognizable. Masks or makeup that conceal student’s identity may be worn only during designated times such as during a costume contest.
- The following are considered not appropriate for school or school events:
- Costumes that are overly graphic, promote violence or otherwise might logically be assumed to be offensive to others
- Costumes that are sexually suggestive and would otherwise violate the school’s dress code
- Costumes with sound effects, lights or other components which would disrupt the classroom learning environment
- Costumes that could be considered insensitive to various races, genders, cultures and religions
- Toy or facsimile weapons of any kind (guns, knives, swords, bats, etc.) are not allowed
- Costumes or dress of any kind that may be potentially disruptive to the educational or school environment
In alignment with Superintendent Policy 5060, school administrators may ask students or participants to change into school appropriate attire and/or remove masks, makeup, or costumes.
Halloween Guidelines Addendum (RE: Clown Costumes)
As you may recall, in 2016 the Five Star District prohibited students and staff from wearing clown costumes on school grounds due to social media threats nationwide. Although we have not been made aware of any similar threats this year, district leadership made the decision to leave this prohibition in the 2019 Halloween guidelines, acknowledging the release of the movie, IT, and in anticipation of a social media response. As always, the safety and security of students and staff is our first priority, therefore students and staff are prohibited from wearing clown masks or costumes on school grounds. This adjustment was made in the best interest of the school community and creates a safe environment for students and staff at Halloween celebrations this year.
Keep in mind, district and school leadership will reevaluate the guidelines each year and make adjustments as needed to ensure a safe celebration for the entire school community. Students who violate or are suspected to be in violation of this policy will be referred to school administration.
Click on each day to reveal the upcoming events.
- Wear Red- World Heart Day
- Newspaper Club @ 3:45pm
- Coding Club @ 3:45pm
- Drama Club @ 3:45pm
- Student Council @ 3:45pm
- Student Council Election Today
- Intramural Soccer @ 3:45pm
- Drama Club @ 3:45pm
- WEB Leader Meeting @ 3:45pm
- Early Release Day
- National Walk to School Day
- 7th Grade Jazz Band @ 7:30am
- Art Club 7:45am
- Robotics Club @ 7:40am
- Creative Writing Club @ 7:30am
- GSA @ 3:45pm
- Love and Logic Class @ 6pm
- 8th Grade Jazz Band Club @ 7:30am
- Booster Bash Fun Day!!!
- Fall Book Fair 8am-4pm
- Drama Club @ 3:45pm