September 8 2019

Week of 09.09.19

Dear Westlake Parents and Guardians:

Over the weekend I took my youngest son to the amazing playground area by the Premium Outlet Mall.  If you haven’t been there yet, this playground is kid heaven!  So many different areas to go and climb….it’s become a Heide family favorite.  While I was there and watching my son climb around there was a girl who was trying to get her dad’s attention.  She kept saying to him to put his phone away and watch her until she finally said, “Ok, I give up.”  I’ve been on the receiving end of those pleas by my own children to put my technology down and the guilt inducing question of, “Is your phone more important than me?!”

As adults we often complain or act surprised at how glued to phones and technology our teens have become and yet we don’t look in the mirror and see how we’ve modeled for our kids the time to be on our phones and the times to put it away.  After receiving many pleas from kids about being more present with them and not on my technology I’ve tried really hard to designate more time technology free when we’re together as a family.  I’m by far not perfect at protecting family time from technology, but it has made a difference.

Check out this article from Common Sense Media about ideas for getting our teens (and ourselves) to use our phones less and at more reasonable times.

Join our PTO- Get information about kids and vaping too!

Please join us for our first PTO meeting on Wednesday, September 18th from 6:30-7:30pm in the WLMS library.  

Meredith Warman from the Broomfield Public Health Department and Jessie Reeder from the Tri-County Health Department will be providing an overview of vaping (what is in e-cigarettes/vapes, harms), tips for how to talk with your kids about vaping, and give an update on what’s going on at the city/county level to help prevent youth from vaping.   They will present for 20 minutes and allow for 10 minutes of Q&A.
This presentation will be followed by a PTO update/overview of the school year and finally a school update from Dr. Heide.
We hope to see you there!

PTO Boosterbash!

We are excited to introduce this year’s new Fall Fundraiser. We are taking the Color Run up a notch and moving toward an EPIC during school event- The Booster Bash! Students will get donations to help our school and earn their ticket to the Booster Bash. This exclusive event will include games, giveaways, inflatable activities, freedom to socialize and more! This fundraiser will kick off with a Pep Rally on September 20th and will wrap up with the big event on October 4th!

This year our school goal is to raise $18,000 for general funds, teacher mini grants and school furniture. And we need your help! With your student, brainstorm a list of friend, family, coworkers and neighbors who would make a donation to our school! Stay tuned for more information via email and Facebook!

Parent/Guardian Opportunities- English classes, Cooking Matters classes, and Love and Logic

Please consider joining us for opportunities coming up at Westlake!  We will be starting a Conversational English class for parents for starting September, 16th 9:00am – 11:00am in the Teacher Planning room by the library.

Are you interested in learning how to:

• Set kids up for success by allowing them to make small mistakes when the price tag is small.
  • End arguing and manipulation
  • Avoid power struggles
  • Guide kids to own and solve their problems
  • And more!

If so, you should join us for Love and Logic!  Class will start on Tuesday September 17th  6:00pm to 8:00pm in the Library.  Please contact Ms. Martinez for more information.  veronica.martinez@adams12.org

Westlake is going to be welcoming Cooking Matters in November! Stay tuned for more information about the Cooking Matters opportunity in the upcoming weeks.

Sign up for Code Red Updates

Are you signed up for Code Red updates yet?  If not, consider signing up Westlake’s address to receive updates for Westlake and the surrounding neighborhood.  You can sign up multiple addresses with Code Red to get updates for multiple areas.  Click on the link below to get information on how to sign up for Code Red updates.

Code Red Updates

Upcoming Events

Click on each day to reveal the upcoming events.

[wmd-accordion tab_background=”#066196″ tab_color=”#fff” content_background=”#2196d1″ content_color=”#fff” border_radius=”4″ ls-id=”5d7576084716a”][wmd-accordion-tab title=”Monday”]%3Cul%3E%0D%0A%3Cli%3ENewspaper Club %40 3%3A45pm%3C%2Fli%3E%0D%0A%3C%2Ful%3E[/wmd-accordion-tab][wmd-accordion-tab title=”Tuesday”]%3Cul%3E%0D%0A%3Cli%3EIntramural Soccer %40 3%3A45pm%3C%2Fli%3E%0D%0A%3C%2Ful%3E[/wmd-accordion-tab][wmd-accordion-tab title=”Wednesday”]%3Cul%3E%0D%0A%3Cli%3EEarly Release Day%3C%2Fli%3E%0D%0A%3Cli%3EArt Club 7%3A45am%3C%2Fli%3E%0D%0A%3C%2Ful%3E[/wmd-accordion-tab][wmd-accordion-tab title=”Thursday”]%3Cul%3E%0D%0A%3Cli%3ERobotics Club %40 7%3A40am%3C%2Fli%3E%0D%0A%3Cli%3ECreative Writing Club %40 7%3A30am%3C%2Fli%3E%0D%0A%3Cli%3EGSA %40 3%3A45pm%3C%2Fli%3E%0D%0A%3Cli%3ENJHS %40 3%3A45pm%3C%2Fli%3E%0D%0A%3C%2Ful%3E[/wmd-accordion-tab][wmd-accordion-tab title=”Friday”/][/wmd-accordion]

Dr. Heide, Principal Westlake Middle School

Posted September 8, 2019 by wlmsad12 in category Weekly Blog Posts