November 25 2018

Week of 11.26.18

Dear Westlake Parents and Guardians:

The time off this past week was certainly a gift for my family and I hope it was for your’s as well.  I am very much looking forward to seeing your children at school this week and continue our learning through the end of the semester and beyond.

I don’t know about you, but I did some holiday shopping over this past week (mostly online to avoid the stores) and it got me thinking about how my parents taught me to budget as well as how I’m teaching my kids to budget.  I feel like budgeting is something I can always improve it so I really want to help my own children learning these valuable skills early.  I came across this article in Parent Toolkit with some ideas and suggestions for helping our young ones learn the skills they need to be successful managers of their money.  I hope you find this helpful!

Teaching Teens to Budget

Feedback on $15,000 Investment (repeat post)

Thanks to the generous support of school through the PTO Check Drive we have money above and beyond our goal to invest in Westlake!  As a school we have identified three areas of priority that we would like to use the $15,000 for and would like your feedback on these priorities.  Staff were asked to prioritize  ways to invest this money that impacted as many students as possible.  Below are the three priorities identified:

1. Water Bottle Filing Stations– our 2016 bond project will install 1-2 stations and this money would allow us do more
  2. Classroom Furniture- this money would allow us to provide classrooms with flexible furniture options or additions that best meet the diverse needs of our students
  3. Subscriptions-  this money would allow us to continue or add to subscriptions such as Newsela or Rocketlit which engages students in literacy based learning across the content areas

Your feedback and insight on how to best invest this money is important.  Please take a moment to share your thoughts through this Google Form regarding the priorities we identified for the $15,000.

Colorado Measures of Academic Success (CMAS) 

While it may feel a ways off we wanted to share with you the assessment schedule for the Spring for CMAS as a means of helping to plan ahead.  Please take a moment to review this schedule and the dates through the link below.  If you have any questions on CMAS please feel free to reach out to David Weisbart, Assistant Principal, at 720.972.5200.

CMAS Assessment Schedule

Posted November 25, 2018 by wlmsad12 in category Weekly Blog Posts